I'm thinking about my goals for the coming school year. What do I want to accomplish this year? What are my top priorities for moving the library forward? I'm really still in the brainstorming process here, and will continue to take a look at the space itself, at the new state standards (currently still in draft version, but available as we continue to work on them), the Future-Ready Library information, and the TEKS for my grade levels as I make a list of To-Do's and work to prioritize them.
Future-Ready is divided into 8 sections that center around personalized student learning.
So, here, in no particular order, is my current list of things I would like to accomplish this year. As the summer moves forward, I'll look at prioritizing and plotting & planning.
- Thorough weeding of the Reference and non-fiction sections. I need the space to be put to better use. I've farmed out a ton of books already to the art department. I've put some up for adoption. I've moved the green books into a storage location for future book-tree building opportunities. I bought a cat-shaped book to show my fabulous shop teachers what I want to have done to some of them. I've saved some to rip pages out of for blackout poems and other artsy stuff, but there is only so much storage space I'm willing to give up. I really, really hate to dumpster them, but yeah, I'll probably have to with some of them as there are JUST.SO.MANY. ugh.
- Building some community partnerships. I've been working with our local public librarians (who are seriously amazing, by the way), and now I'm looking to branch out to create some new partnerships, as well.
- Create a stunning new website. Mine is seriously lacking.
- I need to up my social media game. Why? Because I need to reach my stakeholders with the great news of our library, and I need to do this more than every-once-in-a-while. Consistency creates a presence.
- Create new signage. Mine is no longer correct since I've genrefied.
- Collaborate with more teachers, building on what we've already done. I'll have many new teachers at my campus next year and want to start them off knowing we can partner up and that it isn't an "extra" thing for them---that it will be curricularly based and not a waste of precious class time.
- I want to increase my Maker area, which is currently all low-tech, and add the tech portion to it.
- I want the library to be utilized in better ways---honed in to student's needs better. Not just open and available as a place, but really more of a concierge atmosphere in a way.
- Teach my teachers and students how to use our digital resources effectively--particularly our TexQuest resources.
- Teach my teachers and students how to use our newly updated Destiny resources.
- increase our digital holdings and market them better.
What are YOUR goals for the coming school year?