Tuesday, April 5, 2016

#SOL Tuesday

Before I landed the best job in the universe, as a high school librarian, I worked at what I thought was the best job in the universe, which was a middle school librarian. Way back before that I worked at what I thought was the best job in the universe which was as an elementary librarian. So, in that middle school period, I happened to work at a campus that is a feeder campus to my REAL best-job-in-the-universe gig.  Point is, I already knew about half the kids coming into the high school because I've been their librarian since they were 6th-graders.

This, my friends, comes in very handy in very many situations, on very many days.
Point is, it's a good thing.

Anyhow, the last 5 years or so I guess, during the final 6 weeks of 8th grade, the English folks teach lessons on world mythologies.  They graciously invited me to join them in this endeavor and my specific task was to teach Norse mythology.  I happen to love Norse mythology. So, this became a thing, and one of my beloved favorite lessons.  Point is, out of all the things I might reminisce about from that time in my life, this is probably #1 on the list.

So this morning, as I was making my usual "hello-and-good-morning" rounds in the library before school (we pack quite the crowd of kids each morning before school actually starts.  I'm estimating about 200 to 250 or so on any typical day) a kiddo I've known since his middle school years says to me --"Hey, you remember that Norse mythology/Viking stuff you taught us?  That was cool.  I still remember that as one of my favorite things from middle school." He says this completely out of the blue.

"Yep," I say." I sure do.  I loved teaching you guys that Norse mythology/Viking stuff.  It was a favorite thing of mine. I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad it has stuck with you."

He is a junior in high school.  He loved this lesson from way back in his 8th-grade year.  It was important enough to him that he wanted to share with me that he loved it.

Funny enough, this isn't the first time I've been told that since moving to the high school. One young lady had a choice of research topics and she chose Norse mythology because she said my lesson inspired her. She came to me seeking specific images that she remembered that she wanted to use.

Sometimes we aren't sure if they are hearing us.  Sometimes we feel defeated.  Sometimes the road is long and the going is tough and we aren't sure we are making a difference in anyone's life.

Point is, we are. You are.  I am.  We are.

Keep on, keeping on, friends.  Teach like nobody's business, y'all.  Get that second wind and let it inspire us to teach like pirates (thank you to Dave Burgess) and finish the year STRONG.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! This is just what I needed to read today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beginning about your best jobs was entertaining. Considering that MIddle School children erase most of school related things from their memory it is a great compliment having a students coming back and reminding you of something you did together.

    ReplyDelete