Sunday, March 13, 2016

Wise Women


There's a little local place here my friends and I like to visit.  Tin roof, cement floors, great burgers and often live music.  My writers group used to meet here, but we haven't met in a while. I didn't realize how much I missed it until just recently. 

It isn't just the writers I've missed, to be perfectly honest, although I do miss them.  It is the gathering together of a group of wise women--a sisterhood that laughs together and shares hardships together and creates and celebrates one another.  I miss that. I think it is hard for women to remember that we need each other in the midst of our busyness, and in the midst of being all things to all people in our lives.  We forget.

I'm bad about forgetting this, so the universe has been sending me very specific reminders lately. The universe tends to do that when I'm too thick to pick up little hints.  

I've never been much of a joiner, and growing up most of my friends were guys.  I have had a core group of women friends since I was in elementary school, but I've always been a bit of an outlier in the group to tell the truth.  Then, in my 20's I met this soul-sisterhood and it rocked my world in the best ways.  These women were amazing and funny and brilliant and creative and dreamers.  I was still a bit of an outlier, but I loved this group.  And then I moved.

I found a beautiful new group of women who supported one another and laughed and shopped and cried and created and dreamed together.  And then I moved. 

I have now lived in my home for nearly 15 years.  In the beginning, I had that here, too.  And then off and on again through the last few years.  More off than on as life became busy with grad school and children and job change.  

And now I am settled once more with those major life shifts and I am feeling that call for my sisters; my group of wise women.  Tonight I made the first step towards reclaiming it.  Dinner, not with my writers group, but with one of my lovely friends from that group.  We laughed and shared our challenges and our victories and ate wonderful food.  It was just what the universe had been whispering to me to do.

I'm listening, Universe.  Listening, and now making it happen. 


This month I will participate in the Slice of Life Challenge!
My goal is to Write. Share. Give. each & every day of March.  
Check out Two Writing Teachers for more info!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you had a soul healing dinner! I don't know what I'd do without my Houston girls or my Nac girl. They keep me grounded and sane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered why friendship gets so difficult as we get older. I've moved a lot and don't have longstanding friendships, except through FB, and while that's nice for keeping up to date, it hardly provides the kind of connection and sustenance you're talking about. It seems like most of the people I meet now already have their friends and aren't looking for more, and we're all so busy that it's difficult to make friendship a priority. Lots to ponder here!

    ReplyDelete