Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Sharing our words and our heart


A student I've known for years (since she was in middle school, actually) shares her writing with me often.  I am one of the sponsors of the Teen Writers Alliance, but I am also one of her main Beta readers outside the group.  She stops by often with bits of her Fan Fic (mostly Avengers related) and sometimes her original work.  She pops in when she updates her work and is really happy about it, or when she wants some gentle critique. 

But sometimes she comes in with her poems. These are words that pour out of her when her emotions are eating her alive and threatening to devour her very soul.

Writing these words--these angsty, angry, dark and dank words--is cathartic for her.  They are often painful to read, and I am honored that she trusts me with them. 

She does see someone official to deal with her issues--and she absolutely gave me permission to share this poem marked with her initials. 

Writing is important.  Reading is important.  Sharing is important.  All on so very many levels. 


9 comments:

  1. Your students are lucky to have you! And so are we (the librarians)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful writing- yours and the poem. "writing is important- reading is important- sharing is important"- words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful writing- yours and the poem. "writing is important- reading is important- sharing is important"- words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's lucky to have you to confide in and share with. You must be a very special lady! She's also lucky to have writing to lean on, as are we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I'm lucky to read her awesome writing! :)

      Delete
  5. This is really powerful writing which, unfortunately, I think a lot of teens could relate to. It's sad and beautiful and honest and raw. This girl has talent.

    I'm glad she is speaking to someone professionally, and I'm so glad she has you. I hope she keeps writing and finds some peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes---such talent! I thank you for your kind words and thoughts for her.

      Delete
  6. Writing is important - it matters to your student and to you and to the readers who finish reading and are left with new thoughts and emotions. Thank you for your words, and thank you to your student for trusting us with her words.

    ReplyDelete