Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Slice of Life--a second helping


Every day in the library is a good day.  This morning, however, was just about perfect.  The stars and the planets must have been aligned in just the right way, or perhaps the book faeries and the tech elves sprinkled their magic dust on the shelves.

Whatever the case, my morning was lovely.  The warm smell of my favorite coffee in the air (HEB San Antonio blend, thank you very much--try it is is seriously DELISH!) and some  jazz playing on Spotify set the mood perfectly.  I saw four classes of 8th graders today, and in each and every class I happen to have already-trained-students who love to work the circ desk.  This left me time to walk about the library and help match my kids to just the right books.

In between classes I finished up processing a batch of new books that just came in yesterday (oh, but it is like Christmas has arrived when those books of books are delivered!)  I've mentioned this in an earlier post, but I really love to process books when I have the time to do it.  It feels very meditative to crease the mylar and adhere the Kapco coverings--- and I especially love it when I know that a book is going to make a particular student's day!

I have an 8th grade student that is newly in love with reading.  He is a "secret reader" for the most part, not wanting his buddies to know because he likes to look "hard"---and so he pops in the library at unexpected times when there aren't as many folks around.  Today, as he was leaving I asked him if he was enjoying the book I sent him yesterday (one I sent his direction as soon as I got it processed.)
His answer made my day---"Miss--I always love the books you send me---'cause you know me like that."

These are the moments I will treasure.

Have I told you how much I love my work?  Oh. So. Much.




2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the description of your "secret reader!" I think I will see if our library ladies would consider training 4th and 5th graders to check out books so they can help match readers and books. Aha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Definitely have some 4th and 5th graders train to be student clerks--they will feel like Big Stuff while helping in the library!

    ReplyDelete