Friday, June 17, 2011

What I'm reading now

What a wonderful summer it has been so far for reading!  The soaring temperatures make most everything feel dreadful, so what better way to beat the heat than to sit in my comfy chair in the AC under the fan with a lovely glass of sweet iced tea and a delightful book.

The girls enjoy reading time, too...and we've already made our way to the public library to sign Natalie (my 8 year old) up for the summer reading program and get our first bagful of books.

Here's what I've been reading so far:

Jennifer Donnelly's book, while not a new release, was new to me.  I fell in love with the characters--they are so real, so easy to relate to, even with the historical setting.  Of course, the whole based-on-a-real-life-murder-mystery element is right up my alley.  I have to admit that at first I was a bit confused by the quick change in timeline, but once I got into the groove I couldn't put the book down.  In fact, the story haunts me.


Oh, but I loved this book!  First of all, the time period is one of my favorites---set right before the second World War in Europe with royalty.  Luscious!  This book is second in the Montmaray Journals, with the first being A Brief History of Montmaray. I was swept into their world and wasn't quite ready to give it up when the book was over, so I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.  This book is filled with intrigue and great tidbits of real history which are melded perfectly together.  Oh, but I would love for this to become a perfectly done mini-series from HBO (they seem to do them quite well) and I would DVR it and watch it again and again as I tend to do with the Jane Austen movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment