Sunday, July 18, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

"Blood of my heart.
 Life of my life.
 Body of my body.
 Soul of my soul."

I just adore a wonderful Southern gothic novel.  There's something about the South--the languidness;
the history & humidity, I suppose, that has a certain je nais se quoi, if you will, for big stories.  Particularly for a novel that is rife with mystery and magic and painful regret.  Beautiful Creatures is just such a novel and I loved it even more than I supposed I would at first glance.

Gatlin, South Carolina is not a place where anything new happens...where much of anything at all happens, to tell the truth about it.  Ethan Wate has lived his whole life ready to blow out of town the first chance he gets.  He dreams of far-off universities and adventures around the globe.  His family has been here for generations. 

Lena Duchannes (rhymes with rain) doesn't just shake things up by moving into town to live with her reclusive, eccentric uncle--she forever changes Ethan's world when he realizes she is the girl of his dreams....literally.  There is a soul connection between the two that cannot be logically explained away or denied.  Of course, with Lena's family, that pretty much sums up, well, everything.

"There was a curse.
 There was a girl.
 And in the end, there was a grave."

Oh yes, there is much more than meets the eye in this seemingly placid Southern town. 

Lovely & intoxicating; lush & captivating--- this book is a must read.

You can visit the authors' website at: http://www.kamigarciamargaretstohl.com/.  And the official US fansite at http://castergirls.com/.
I can hardly wait for the sequel--Beautiful Darkness--due out in stores October 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment