Sunday, June 6, 2010

Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising by Jason Henderson


I've posted recently about the mounds of vampire fiction hitting the scene lately--not a complaint, mind you, just a fact.  I'm  at least a moderate fan of most of it---but my husband just can't stomach the thought of nice vampires.  We've had ---may I point out---ridiculous discussions on how that wouldn't happen "in real life".  Um, yeah, babe....no kidding.  I'm sure vampires wouldn't be particularly chummy in real life. 
Vampire Rising is a vampire book for boys (although girls will love it too) and I LOVE that we finally have one on the scene. 

Alex Van Helsing is a 14-year-old recently sent to boarding school in Switzerland.  Yeah, he's heard the stories related to his name his whole life, but he knows thats just fiction.  Right?  After a couple of very strange incounters with what could only be described as otherworldly opponents he begins to wonder.  He does, of course, find out that he is indeed a part of the legacy that the world thinks of as only fiction---he is a vampire hunter.

And these vampires aren't nice or vegan or friendly.  The action is kickin' and will keep you on the edge of your seat.  I love the twist thrown in at the end, by the way; and the literary references make this librarian's heart sing. 

This is Jason Henderson's first novel for teens---and I'm happy to give big props to this Texas author for delivering a thrilling ride!  I look forward to the next installment.

You can check out more about Jason at: http://www.alexvanhelsing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment